Friday, November 14, 2008

Blogonymity

So I’m having a little trouble with this whole blog thing lately. I started this blog as a way to share my ideas, my opinions and daily life with people who want to get to know me better. But what happens when my opinions and daily life involve negative views of work, of the scientific community and of social interactions? I feel that if I write honestly about my feeling that somehow it will come back to bite me in the ass. I can’t vent my frustrations about my research or academic interactions in this forum because a future employer might stumble across this blog and not like what she reads. We all feel a false sense of anonymity sitting in front of a computer. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t feel like I can be a hundred percent honest with this blog and I don’t like it.

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Tante, I understand what you are saying for sure, but I sure do love to read your blog. It makes me feel a little caught up in your life. One possible solution is to set your blog to private, and that way you control who can view your entries. You can do it through blogger... It may require that all your readers have a blogger account, which would be a downside, but it's at least an option... I've been missing your posts!!!

belleshpgrl said...

I totally know what you mean and feel the same way. I have so much to say about my work but we all know what happens to those who blog about work. Sometimes I would like to write things about my relationships but if I can't say what I want to blog about to my friend/boyfriend/family member's face then I won't write it. It's a good policy, but sort of constricting (even if it does force me to be more open and honest in the long term.) You just never know who will find it.

That all being said. Please keep blogging. I like your blog "voice."